via Instagram http://bit.ly/1D3tX4W
Spinach Soup with Acini di Pepe
It’s getting cold here in Central New Jersey, and I was looking for something warm for lunch. I looked around and saw all of the ingredients for one of my favorite soups to have in the fall. It takes about an hour from start to finish, or possibly less if you want to babysit the pot. Spinach soup is an easy soup to throw together, completely vegetarian, and is extensible in many ways.
Mise en place
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 28 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup acini di pepe or orzo
- paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and cumin to taste
You can be quite creative here, adding celery, apple, vinegar, or other ingredients that you feel might round out the flavor.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil for a minute over medium heat then add your diced onion, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add your carrot and stir five minutes.
- Add your spinach, garlic, and pasta and mix, then fill your pot with the broth, leaving room for the boil. Season to taste, and taste occasionally to adjust.
- Increase heat to bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce to minimal heat, just to keep the roll going.
- Simmer over low heat, but keep the roiling broth going until the pasta is plump, about 30 minutes.
Enjoy with crackers or rustic bread.
This content is published under the Attribution 3.0 Unported license.